Kristie Reviews:Jagannath by Karin Tidbeck



Man, I'm really rolling with the short stories thing. I swear my attention span shortened by half in the last year.

I think tumblr is to blame.

BUT ANYWAY book reviews!

Jagannath is a collection of Weird Scandinavian short stories. I say "Weird" as a genre, not just as an uncreative descriptor. Capitol "W" Weird. Most of these stories go into the territory of horror without ever getting too scary, and for the most part, I really liked that--I'm attracted to many of the trappings of horror stories, but I scare pretty easily. But to be honest, some of these stories could have cranked up the creep factor just a bit more; everyone needs a good literary punch in the gut here and there.

Despite the Hindi title, most of the stories had a decidedly Scandinavian bent, what with changelings and vittra and tiny cabins hidden away in mountain forests (which I particularly enjoyed, since I've been fantasizing about leaving cities forever and living the rest of my life in a tiny cabin in the woods--the tinier and woodsier the better).

So they're a bit like darker stories Miyazaki might make for people in their mid- to late 20's. There, that's it.

Weirdest story in the book: probably the Aunts, who spend their lives eating and eating until they get so fat they split open and a tiny baby Aunt comes out and the excess from the old Aunt's body is OKAY NEVERMIND I've said too much. Go read it if you really want to know. 8.5/10.


Word Count: ~32,000
Kristie's Total Points: 454,748

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Copyright © This Is a Book Club - Blogger Theme by BloggerThemes